Every man should have a recipe for a homemade hamburger that will blow everyone away without a lot of work. Be sure to buy high quality beef and ingredients. Hamburgers are not expensive to begin with, so spending the few extra dollars for high quality meat and produce is worth it.
Ingredients for a homemade hamburger
This recipe will make 4 medium sized hamburgers, each with a precook weight a little over 1/4lbs.
- 1lb ground beef
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 tsp Pepper
- 4 Tbsp BBQ Sauce
- 1 Egg
- 1 Cup Rolled Oats (enough oats the meat does not feel wet)
- 1 Onion
- 1 Tomato (Large)
- 4 Leafs of Lettuce
- 8 Baby Pickles
- 4 Buns
- 4 Pieces of Cheese (your choice)
- Condiments, Ketchup, Mustard, Mayonnaise, other (your choice)
- 1 BBQ Grill either charcoal or gas
Directions to make a homemade hamburger
- Preheat the gas grill to 375 degrees, or medium high temperature. If you are using charcoal prepare the goals.
- By hand mix the beef, salt, pepper, BBQ sauce, egg, and oats in a bowl.
- Once mixed, make 4 even sized balls of hamburger. Pretend you are trying to make a baseball and pack the meat as tight together as you can while maintaining the baseball shape.
- Once you have 4 even homemade hamburgers, gently form them into patties. The idea is to handle the meat as little as possible while making this shape.
- Cook the hamburger as desired. Hamburger is recommended for health reasons to be cooked all the way through which takes about 8-10 minutes on gas or 12-15 minutes on charcoal.
- At the completion of the cooking, melt the cheese on the burger and toast the buns slightly. This process should take less than one minute on a hot grill.
- While the burgers are cooking, start chopping up the fixings. Be sure to wash all the produce before cutting.
- Cut the tomatoes into slices, depending on the size of the tomato you should have a round slice as big as the hamburger, about 1/4 inch thick.
- Cut the pickles long ways, each slice around 1/8inch thick
- Pieces of lettuce, cut off the ends of each piece, trying to make the lettuce the size of the hamburger patties
- Cut the onion into large round rings the size of a hamburger pattie, 1/8 inch thick.
Proper assembly of the homemade hamburger is the key to keeping the burger together while eating. Try your own order but this works best for me. Bottom Bun, Mustard, Hamburger, Cheese, Pickles, Tomato, Lettuce, Onion, Ketchup, Top Bun
Our Hamburger recipe goes perfect with our Homemade Steak Fries, cook them together for an excellent summer treat!